Knight Fever



"Knight is ESPN's new college basketball studio analyst. He will join the network March 12 for a 27-day gig that covers championship week and the NCAA tournament. He also will appear on "SportsCenter," ESPN Radio and ESPN News...

""I think ESPN has been real good for college basketball," Knight said in a news release. "And I look forward to working with some of their people who I have known a long time."

King Kaufman sums it up pretty well, but I'll just add that, for all the move's hypocrisy, I actually can't think of a better home for Knight than ESPN; like him, it mines a similar combination of macho bullying, anti-intellectualism, and self-satisfied humor, while blending it with an utterly unearned sense of moral self-righteousness. Like Bonnie and Clyde, Nick and Jessica or Trump and Ivana, they seem made for each other.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It'd be teh awesome if Knight were paired with Terry Bradshaw--yes, I know, wrong sport, but just go with my fantasy--and the old coot threw Bradshaw through a plate glass window on air. In that very moment, both would be truest to his own 'art' form, and I would feel v.v. pleased.

At least now the Bobster's away from the children (well, at least physically; no doubt his calm, grandfatherly demeanor will cause many a youngster to do bodily harm whilst emulating him). For old time's sake, maybe he and the crazy football coach at Oklahoma State ("I'm a man! I'm 40!") can go out screaming together some time.
Brian Doan said…
Bobby+Terry=Summit Meeting.

In Hell.
Anonymous said…
Are you saying they'll be Russert's guests there? (You know Russert will have a show in hell. At least one.)
Brian Doan said…
Wow. A Russert-Knight faceoff would be something to see (and I suspect "faceoff" would end up being literal). Two (word deleted by Blogger for being too foul)s come together in one hellish talk-show; but as Sean Connery says in Highlander: "There can be only one."

Popular Posts